|Dr. CHEUNG, Chi Wai (張志偉)
MBBS (HKU); MD (HKU); FHKCA; FHKAM(Anaesthesiology); Dip. Pain. Mgt.(HKCA)
Clinical Associate Professor, Department of Anaesthesiology, The University of Hong Kong
Assistant Dean (Private Sector Liaison), Li Ka Shing Faculty of Medicine, The University of Hong Kong
Immediate Past President, The Society of Anaesthetists of Hong Kong
1st Vice President, Hong Kong College of Anaesthesiologists
E-mail : email@example.com
HKU Researcher Page : http://hub.hku.hk/rp/rp00244
- Clinical pain medicine
- Basic pain medicine
- Sedative pharmacology and technique
|Selected Peer-Reviewed Journal Publications
- Cheung CW*, Chan TCW, Chen PP, Chu MC, Chui WCM, Ho PT, Lam F, Law SW, Lee JYL, Wong SHS and Wong VKC.
Opioid therapy for chronic non-cancer pain: guidelines for the Hong Kong setting.
Hong Kong Medical Journal 2016 (in press).
- Cheung CW*, Choi SW, Wong SSC, Lee Y and Irwin MG.
Changes in prevalence, outcomes and help seeking behavior of chronic pain in an aging population over the last decade.
Pain Practice 2016 (in press).
- Qiu Q, Choi SW, Wong SSC, Irwin MG and Cheung CW*.
Effects of intraoperative maintenance of general anaesthesia with propofol and post-operative pain outcomes - a systematic review and meta-analysis.
Anaesthesia 2016 (in press).
- Cheung CW*.
Prescription drug monitoring programs needed to manage opioid use in asia pacific.
Pain Practice 2016; 16(5):E93.
- Luo X, Tai WL, Sun L, Pan Z, Xia Z, Chung SK and Cheung CW*.
Crosstalk between astrocytic CXCL12 and microglial CXCR4 contributes to the development of neuropathic pain.
Molecular Pain 2016 Mar 8;12.
- Chan AC, Qiu Q, Choi SW, Wong SS, Chan AC, Irwin MG and Cheung CW*.
Effects of intra-operative total intravenous anaesthesia with propofol versus inhalational anaesthesia with Sevoflurane on post-operative pain in liver surgery: a retrospective case-control study.
PLoS One 2016; 11(2):e0149753.
- Lam DM, Choi SW, Wong SCS, Irwin MG and Cheung CW*.
Efficacy of pregabalin in acute postoperative pain under different surgical categories: a meta-analysis.
Medicine 2015; 94(46):e1944.
- Low SJ, Wong SCS, Qiu Q, Lee Y, Chan TCW, Irwin MG and Cheung CW*.
An audit of changes in outcomes of acute pain service: evolution over the last 2 decades.
Medicine 2015; 94(46):e1673.
- Luo X, Wang XA, Xia ZY, Chung SK and Cheung CW*.
CXCL12/CXCR4 axis: an emerging neuromodulator in pathological pain.
Review in Neuroscience 2016; 27(1):83-92.
- Hung VKL, Tai LW, Luo X, Wang XA, Chung SK and Cheung CW*.
Targeted overexpression of astrocytic endothelin-1 attenuates neuropathic pain by upregulating spinal excitatory amino acid transporter-2.
Journal of Molecular Neuroscience 2015; 57(1):90-6.
- Liman S, Cheung CW*, Wong KL, Tai LW, Qiu Q, Ng KF, Choi SW and Irwin MG.
Preventive treatment with ketamine attenuates the ischaemia-reperfusion response in a chronic postischaemia pain model.
Oxidative Medicine and Cellular Longevity 2015; 2015:380403.
- Cheung CW*, Qiu Q, Liu J, Chu KM and Irwin MG.
Intranasal dexmedetomidine in combination with patient-controlled sedation during upper gastrointestinal endoscopy: a randomised trial.
Acta Anaesthesiologica Scandinavica 2015; 59(2):215-23.
- Cheung CW*, Qiu Q, Choi SW, Moore B, Goucke R and Irwin MG.
Chronic opioid therapy for chronic non-cancer pain: a review and comparison of treatment guidelines.
Pain Physician 2014; 17:401-14.
- Luo X, Tai WL, Sun LT, Qiu Q, Xia ZY, Chung SK and Cheung CW*.
Central administration of C-X-C chemokine receptor type 4 antagonist alleviates the development and maintenance of peripheral neuropathic pain in mice.
PLOS One 2014; 9:e104860.
- Cheung CW*, Qiu Q, Ying AC, Choi SW, Law WL and Irwin MG.
The effects of intraoperative dexmedetomidine on postoperative pain, side-effects and recovery in colorectal surgery.
Anaesthesia 2014; 69(11):1214-21.
- Xu J, Li H, Irwin MG, Xia ZY, Mao X, Lei S, Wong GT, Hung V, Cheung CW, Fang X, Clanachan AS and Xia Z.
Propofol ameliorates hyperglycemia-induced cardiac hypertrophy and dysfunction via heme oxygenase-1/signal transducer and activator of transcription 3 signaling pathway in rats.
Crit Care Med 2014; 42(8):e583-94.
- Hung KL, Tai W, Qiu Q, Luo X, Wong KL, Chung SK and Cheung CW*.
Over-expression of astrocytic ET-1 attenuates neuropathic pain by inhibition of ERK 1/2 and Akt(s) via activation of ETA receptor.
Molecular and Cellular Neuroscience 2014; 60:26-35.
- Tai WL, Hung KL, Wei M, Qiu Q, Chung SK and Chueng CW*.
Effects of repeated central administration of endothelin type A recepter antagonist on the development of neuropathic pain in rats.
BioMed Research International 2013; 2013:529871.
- Ho AM, Dion PW, Yeung JH, Holcomb JB, Critchley LA, Ng CS, Karmakar MK, Cheung CW and Rainer TH.
Prevalence of survivor bias in observational studies on fresh frozen plasma: erythrocyte ratios in trauma requiring massive transfusion.
Anesthesiology 2012; 116(3):716-28.
- Hung KL, Chen SMY, Tai WL, Chen AYS, Chung SK and Cheung CW*.
Over expression of endothelin-1 in astrocytes, but not endothelial cells, ameliorates inflammatory pain response after formalin injection.
Life Science 2012; 91:618-22.
- Chueng CW*, Ng KFJ, Liu J, Yuen MYV, Ho MHA and Irwin MG.
Analgesic and sedative effects of intranasal dexmedetomidine in third molar surgery under local anaesthesia.
British Journal of Anaesthesia 2011; 107(3):430-7.
- Chueng CW*, Choi WS, Leung YY, Lui F, Ng JK, Hei-Ho AM and Irwin MG.
A double blind randomized crossover study to evaluate the timing of pregabalin for third molar surgery under local anaesthesia.
Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 2012; 70(1):25-30.
- Chueng CW*, Ng KFJ, Choi WS, Chiu WK, Ying CLA and Irwin MG.
Evaluation of the analgesic efficacy of local dexmedetomidine application.
Clinical Journal of Pain 2011; 27(5):377-82.
- Chan KB, Tam LK, Chung YF, Wat CY, Tsui SL and Cheung CW*.
Opioids in chronic non-cancer pain management.
Expert Opinion in Pharmacotherapy 2011; 12(5):705-20.
- Cheung CW*, Ying CL, Lee LH, Tsang SF, Tsui SL and Irwin MG.
An audit of postoperative intravenous patient-controlled analgesia with morphine: evolution over the last decade.
European Journal of Pain 2009; 13:464-71.
- Cheung CW*, Irwin MG, Chiu WK and Ying CLA.
A study to assess the value of bispectral analysis in intravenous sedation with midazolam during third molar surgery under local anaesthesia.
Anaesthesia 2008; 63:1302-8.
- Cheung CW*, Ying CLA, Chiu WK, Wong GTC and Irwin MG.
A comparison of dexmedetomidine and midazolam for sedation in third molar surgery.
Anaesthesia 2007; 62:1132-8.
Note: * indicates corresponding author
- Tsui SL, Cheung CW. Cancer Pain. In: Pain medicine, a multidisciplinary approach, edited by SL Tsui, PP Chen and Jacobus KF Ng, Hong Kong University Press 2010.
- Cheung CW. Conscious sedation for surgical procedures. In: Dexmedetomidine: handbook of clinical applications (second edition), edited by MG Irwin and GTC Wong. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins 2008.
- Cheung CW. Dexmedetomidine in Sedation. In: Dexmedetomidine: handbook of clinical applications, edited by MG Irwin and GTC Wong. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins 2007.