MBBS(HK), MD(HKU), FHKCA, FFPMANZCA, FHKCA(Pain Med), FHKAM(Anaesthesiology), Dip Pain Mgt (HKCA)
Professor Cheung Chi Wai is the Head and Clinical Professor of the Department of Anaesthesiology, The University of Hong Kong. He is the Honorary Consultant of Department of Anaesthesiology, Queen Mary Hospital and Grantham Hospital and Duchess of Kent Children’s Hospital in Hong Kong. He is also the Chair of Specialty for Anaesthesiology and Adult Intensive Care Services, Gleneagles Hospital, as well as the Chief of Service, Department of Anaesthesiology, HKU-Shenzhen Hospital. He has been the Division Chief in Pain Medicine of Department of Anaesthesiology, Queen Mary Hospital (Hong Kong) since 2016. Professor Cheung has published extensively in peer reviewed scientific journals in anaesthesiology and pain medicine. He is a regularly invited journal reviewer for many international peer reviewed journals. He is the Section Editor of Pain Practice and the editorial board member of British Journal of Anaesthesia. He is currently the President of Hong Kong College of Anaesthesiologists, and the Past President of the Society of Anaesthetists of Hong Kong.
E-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org
HKU Researcher Page : rp00244
ORCID : orcid.org/0000-0002-1910-1659
- Clinical pain medicine
- Epigenetic and Pain
- Mechanisms of neuromodulation for pain
Selected Peer-Reviewed Journal Publications
- Liu JA, Tai A, Hong J, Cheung MPL, Sham MH, Cheah KSE, Cheung CW, Cheung M. Fbxo9 functions downstream of Sox10 to determine neuron-glial fate choice in the dorsal root ganglia through Neurog2 destabilization. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 2020; 117(8): 4199-4210.
- Wong SSC, Chan WS, Cheung CW*. Analgesic Effects of Cannabinoids for Chronic Non-cancer Pain: a Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis with Meta-Regression. J Neuroimmune Pharmacol 2020; 15(4): 801-9 Review.
- Wong SS, Cheung CW*. Optimization of opioid utility in cancer pain populations. Ann Palliat Med 2020; 9(2): 558-70.
- Wong SSC, Cheung CW*. Analgesic Efficacy and Adverse Effects of Meperidine in Managing Postoperative or Labor Pain: A Narrative Review of Randomized Controlled Trials. Pain Physician2020; 23(2): 175-201.
- Yeung SC, Irwin MG, Cheung CW*. Environmental Enrichment in Postoperative Pain and Surgical Care: Potential Synergism With the Enhanced Recovery After Surgery Pathway. Ann Surg 2021; 273(1): 86-95.
- Cheung CW*. Epidural steroids – are we following the guidelines? Anaesthesia 2019; 74(12): 1500-03.
- Wong SS, Sun L, Qiu Q, Gu P, Li Q, Wang XM, Cheung CW*. Propofol attenuates postoperative hyperalgesia via regulating spinal GluN2B-p38MAPK/EPAC1 pathway in an animal model of postoperative pain. European Journal of Pain 2019; 23(4): 812-22.
- Wong SS, Choi SW, Cheung CW*. A comparison of chronic pain with and without neuropathic characteristics in a Hong Kong Chinese population: an analysis of pain related outcomes and patient help seeking behaviour. PLoS One 2018; 13(10): e0204054.
- Tai LW, Pan Z, Sun L, Li H, Gu P, Wong SSC, Chung SK, Cheung CW*. Suppression of Pax2 atenuates allodynia and hyperalgesia through ET-1-ETAR-NFAT5 signaling in a rat model of neuropathic pain. Neuroscience 2018; 384(5): 139-51.
- Sun L, Li H, Tai LW, Gu P, Cheung CW*. Adiponectin regulates thermal nociception in a mouse model of neuropathic pain. British Journal of Anaesthesia 2018; 120(6): 1356-67.
- Gu P, Wang XM, Sun L, Tai LW, Pan Z, Cheung CW*. Histon deacetylase 5 (HDAC5) regulates neuropathic pain through SRY-related HMG-box 10 (SOX10)-dependent mechanism in mice. Pain 2018; 159(3): 526-39.
- Pan Z, Shan Q, Gu P, Wang XM, Tai LW, Sun M, Luo X, Sun L, Cheung CW*. miRNA-23a/CXCR4 regulates neuropathic pain via directly targeting TXNIP/NLRP3 inflammasome axis. J Neuroinflammation 2018; 15(1): 29.
- Qiu Q, Sun L, Wang XM, Lo ACY, Wong KL, Gu P, Wong SCS, Cheung CW*. Propofol produces preventive analgesia via GluN2B-containing NMDA receptor/ERK1/2 signaling pathway in a rat model of inflammatory pain. Molecular Pain 2017; 13: 1-13.
- Choi SW, LAM DM, Wong SSC, Shiu HH, Wang AX, Cheung CW*. Effects of single nucleotide polymorphisms on surgical and post-surgical opioid requirements - a systematic review and meta-analysis. Clinical Journal of Pain 2017; 33(12): 1117-30.
- Cheung CW*, Wong SSC, Qiu Q, Wang X. Oral oxycodone for acute postoperative pain: a review of clinical trials. Pain Physician 2017; 20(2S): SE33-52.
- Sun L, Tai L, Qiu Q, Mitchell R, Fleetwood-Walker S, Joosten EA, Cheung CW*. Endocannabinoid activation of CB1 receptors contributes to long-lasting reversal of neuropathic pain by repetitive spinal cord stimulation. European Journal of Pain 2017; 21(5): 804-14.
- Cheung CW*, Choi SW, Wong SSC, Lee Y, Irwin MG. Changes in prevalence, outcomes and help-seeking behavior of chronic pain in an aging population over the last decade. Pain Practice 2017; 17(5): 643-54.
- Cheung CW*, Chan TCW, Chen PP, Chu MC, Chui WCM, Ho PT, Lam F, Law SW, Lee JYL, Wong SHS, Wong VKC. Opioid therapy for chronic non-cancer pain: guidelines for Hong Kong. Hong Kong Medical Journal 2016; 22(5): 496-505.
- Qiu Q, Choi SW, Wong SSC, Irwin MG, Cheung CW*. Effects of intra-operative maintenance of general anaesthesia with propofol and postoperative pain outcomes - a systematic review and meta-analysis. Anaesthesia2016; 71(10):1222-33.
- Cheung CW*. Prescription drug monitoring programs needed to manage opioid use in asia pacific. Pain Practice2016; 16(5): E93.
- Luo X, Tai WL, Sun L, Pan Z, Xia Z, Chung SK, Cheung CW*. Crosstalk between astrocytic CXCL12 and microglial CXCR4 contributes to the development of neuropathic pain. Molecular Pain 2016; 12: 1-15.
- Chan AC, Qiu Q, Choi SW, Wong SS, Chan AC, Irwin MG, Cheung CW*. Effects of intra-operative total intravenous anaesthesia with propofol versus inhalational anaesthesia with Sevoflurane on post-operative pain in liver surgery: a retrospective case-control study. PLoS One 2016; 11(2): e0149753.
- Hung VKL, Tai LW, Luo X, Wang XA, Chung SK, Cheung CW*. Targeted overexpression of astrocytic endothelin-1 attenuates neuropathic pain by upregulating spinal excitatory amino acid transporter-2. Journal of Molecular Neuroscience 2015; 57(1): 90-6.
- Cheung CW*, Qiu Q, Choi SW, Moore B, Goucke R, Irwin MG. Chronic opioid therapy for chronic non-cancer pain: a review and comparison of treatment guidelines. Pain Physician 2014; 17: 401-14.
- Luo X, Tai WL, Sun LT, Qiu Q, Xia ZY, Chung SK, Cheung CW*. Central administration of C-X-C chemokine receptor type 4 antagonist alleviates the development and maintenance of peripheral neuropathic pain in mice. PLOS One 2014; 9: e104860.
- Cheung CW*, Qiu Q, Ying AC, Choi SW, Law WL, Irwin MG. The effects of intraoperative dexmedetomidine on postoperative pain, side-effects and recovery in colorectal surgery. Anaesthesia 2014; 69(11): 1214-21.
- Hung KL, Tai W, Qiu Q, Luo X, Wong KL, Chung SK, Cheung CW*. Over-expression of astrocytic ET-1 attenuates neuropathic pain by inhibition of ERK 1/2 and Akt(s) via activation of ETA receptor. Molecular and Cellular Neuroscience 2014; 60: 26-35.
- Hung KL, Chen SMY, Tai WL, Chen AYS, Chung SK, Cheung CW*. Over expression of endothelin-1 in astrocytes, but not endothelial cells, ameliorates inflammatory pain response after formalin injection. Life Sciences 2012; 91(13-14): 618-22.
- Chueng CW*, Ng KFJ, Liu J, Yuen MYV, Ho MHA, Irwin MG. Analgesic and sedative effects of intranasal dexmedetomidine in third molar surgery under local anaesthesia. British Journal of Anaesthesia 2011; 107(3): 430-7.
- Chueng CW*, Choi WS, Leung YY, Lui F, Ng JK, Hei-Ho AM, Irwin MG. A double blind randomized crossover study to evaluate the timing of pregabalin for third molar surgery under local anaesthesia. Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 2012; 70(1): 25-30.
- Chueng CW*, Ng KFJ, Choi WS, Chiu WK, Ying CLA, Irwin MG. Evaluation of the analgesic efficacy of local dexmedetomidine application. Clinical Journal of Pain 2011; 27(5): 377-82.
- Chan KB, Tam LK, Chung YF, Wat CY, Tsui SL, Cheung CW*. Opioids in chronic non-cancer pain management. Expert Opinion in Pharmacotherapy2011; 12(5): 705-20.
- Cheung CW*, Ying CL, Lee LH, Tsang SF, Tsui SL, Irwin MG. An audit of postoperative intravenous patient-controlled analgesia with morphine: evolution over the last decade. European Journal of Pain 2009; 13: 464-71.
- Cheung CW*, Ying CLA, Chiu WK, Wong GTC, Irwin MG. A comparison of dexmedetomidine and midazolam for sedation in third molar surgery. Anaesthesia2007; 62: 1132-8.
: * is corresponding author